About Us
© Fort Jones Community Church, 2012 - 2017
About Us This is a great place to start finding out more about Fort Jones Community Church, the Pastors and Staff, as well as the local history that  reminds us as a community where the church began. Our Church is affiliated with the Christian and Missionary Alliance.  We support missions throughout the world as well as in our own backyard.  Here in Scott Valley we partner with other local churches to lend a helping hand and spread the good news through various ministries. Visit some of our other pages to learn more about us and see what's going on in the community. At Fort Jones Community Church we want to empower you to love God, and to love your fellow man.  These are the Great Commandments of our Lord Jesus Christ and are demonstrated in our mission as a church.
F.J.C.C. History Sometime prior to 1939 a group of seven women began to meet together for prayer. The women had a dream - a dream which became the theme of their group and individual prayer times. Their prayers were for a Bible believing church where the great truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ the Lord would be preached, believed, received and obeyed. The Founding of Fort Jones Community Church - 1939 James T. Black graduated from Simpson Bible College, Seattle Washington. He answered God’s call to start a church in Fort Jones that same year. Reverend Black arrived with his wife, Edith, also a graduate of Simpson Bible College, and began his work. Services were held in the Methodist Church where Reverend Black also served as interim Pastor for a time. In 1942 Reverend Black accepted a call to a church in Livermore. He pastored the church there for one year, 1942 - 1943. A Pastor named Hardwick was placed in the Fort Jones Church for that year. Reverend Black returned to Fort Jones in 1943. Mrs. James T Black Jr.,  identified the youngest boy in this picture as Daniel A. Black. James T. Black Jr. is not visible in this picture, as he was born after his father was killed. In the Black family picture, from left to right, they are;•Karen Rebecca Black (now MacNaughton)•John Thomas Black (oldest son, now living in Billings, Montana, and working for a Christian radio station)•Daniel Andrew Black (second oldest now lives in Kalispell, Montana)•Mrs. Edith Black (then Thomson, widowed for a second time, and passed away on April 1, 2003)•James Turck Black•Joanna Maxine Black (now Krentz, living near Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada)The Black family information was originally supplied Jan. 19, 1999 by Sharon Black, wife of James T. Black Jr., the youngest son of pastor James T. Black. Sharon provided us with an update on some of the family members in April 2007. In 1943, the defunct Saint Paul's Episcopal Church building located at the corner of Main and Sterling Streets became the new home of Fort Jones Community Church. Reverend Black was the Pastor until his death on October 29, 1946. He is buried in the Fort Jones Cemetery. This photo of St. Paul's Church was taken in 1893. This second photo showing the addition of the cross and bell tower was taken in 1920. It must have looked very much the same in 1943 when Fort Jones Community Church began to meet there. 1950 - Work was begun on land donated by Alford Branson, who was a former member of the Saint Paul's Episcopal Church. We rejoiced that he was still alive when we had the "ground breaking ceremonies" in 1950. In 1951 the Fort Jones Community Church rented a store front on Main Street, where the Dry Gulch Laundry Mat is today, and church services were held there until the new Church building in this photo was completed enough to move into, in 1955. We occupied this building as our main church building until 1991.
Fort Jones Community Church
Fort Jones Community Church
Fort Jones Community Church
About Us
© Fort Jones Community Church, 2012 - 2017
About Us This is a great place to start finding out more about Fort Jones Community Church, the Pastors and Staff, as well as the local history that  reminds us as a community where the church began. Our Church is affiliated with the Christian and Missionary Alliance.  We support missions throughout the world as well as in our own backyard.  Here in Scott Valley we partner with other local churches to lend a helping hand and spread the good news through various ministries. Visit some of our other pages to learn more about us and see what's going on in the community. At Fort Jones Community Church we want to empower you to love God, and to love your fellow man.  These are the Great Commandments of our Lord Jesus Christ and are demonstrated in our mission as a church.
F.J.C.C. History Sometime prior to 1939 a group of seven women began to meet together for prayer. The women had a dream - a dream which became the theme of their group and individual prayer times. Their prayers were for a Bible believing church where the great truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ the Lord would be preached, believed, received and obeyed. The Founding of Fort Jones Community Church - 1939 James T. Black graduated from Simpson Bible College, Seattle Washington. He answered God’s call to start a church in Fort Jones that same year. Reverend Black arrived with his wife, Edith, also a graduate of Simpson Bible College, and began his work. Services were held in the Methodist Church where Reverend Black also served as interim Pastor for a time. In 1942 Reverend Black accepted a call to a church in Livermore. He pastored the church there for one year, 1942 - 1943. A Pastor named Hardwick was placed in the Fort Jones Church for that year. Reverend Black returned to Fort Jones in 1943. Mrs. James T Black Jr.,  identified the youngest boy in this picture as Daniel A. Black. James T. Black Jr. is not visible in this picture, as he was born after his father was killed. In the Black family picture, from left to right, they are;•Karen Rebecca Black (now MacNaughton)•John Thomas Black (oldest son, now living in Billings, Montana, and working for a Christian radio station)•Daniel Andrew Black (second oldest now lives in Kalispell, Montana)•Mrs. Edith Black (then Thomson, widowed for a second time, and passed away on April 1, 2003)•James Turck Black•Joanna Maxine Black (now Krentz, living near Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada)The Black family information was originally supplied Jan. 19, 1999 by Sharon Black, wife of James T. Black Jr., the youngest son of pastor James T. Black. Sharon provided us with an update on some of the family members in April 2007. In 1943, the defunct Saint Paul's Episcopal Church building located at the corner of Main and Sterling Streets became the new home of Fort Jones Community Church. Reverend Black was the Pastor until his death on October 29, 1946. He is buried in the Fort Jones Cemetery. This photo of St. Paul's Church was taken in 1893. This second photo showing the addition of the cross and bell tower was taken in 1920. It must have looked very much the same in 1943 when Fort Jones Community Church began to meet there. 1950 - Work was begun on land donated by Alford Branson, who was a former member of the Saint Paul's Episcopal Church. We rejoiced that he was still alive when we had the "ground breaking ceremonies" in 1950. In 1951 the Fort Jones Community Church rented a store front on Main Street, where the Dry Gulch Laundry Mat is today, and church services were held there until the new Church building in this photo was completed enough to move into, in 1955. We occupied this building as our main church building until 1991.